Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's Official...

It's official, I am truly 100% allergic to my wedding band. How might that be you ask, well at first I didn't know either, how after 3 years I could all of a sudden become allergic, but I am. It appears that some white gold jewelry is made with palladium and some is made with nickel. My Engagement ring was made, it appears, with palladium and my wedding band, purchased from another location, with nickel. So, I have a nickel allergy, which causes me to get red, itchy, open wounds whenever I put on my wedding band. At first I thought maybe I had somehow gotten into poison ivy or something else that could have caused the rash, but after waiting a few weeks and letting it dry up and heal, I put the ring back on and tried again. Once again, rash, horrible, horrible rash. I have tried several more times, but to no avail. It is very disheartening to not be able to wear my wedding band, it makes me feel like I am still engaged or something and sometimes I wonder what people thing when they see I have two kids and only an engagement ring or no ring on at all?! It now appears like we are going to have to get a new wedding band, some day in the future...really it is sad, this ring has been nothing but problems since the day we got it. The first day after we were married a stone fell out of it and we had to send it back, while we were on our honeymoon, to have it fixed. At that time we got a little silver ring, that was probably $10.00, because Tom said it was like we weren't even married and we were on our Honeymoon so I should have some sort of ring. I have been wearing this ring on and off throughout this whole allergy thing, but it has started to give me rashes as well. So I am hoping that we will be able to replace the original wedding band, and that I won't be allergic to it. Luckily, I am only allergic to the ring and nickel and not my loving husband!