Friday, March 24, 2006

Its No Wonder Americans Are Over Weight

Over the past couple of months I have slowly watched my scale creep up as my weight continues to climb. I must have been in denial as I bought larger jeans so that I could breath when I sit down and made all sorts of excuses up, like: "Its the holidays" or "well it is winter, I will lose it all come Spring." RIGHT, what have I been thinking, I should have nipped this problem in the bud several months ago, so the time has come now to do something about it. The sad thing is, I realized today as I was entering the foods I have eaten this week into an online food calculator just how difficult it is to eat healthy, even if you think you are eating healthy. I will get a salad from Arby's and say, "It is a salad...that is healthy" Well, a salad from Arby's has over 500 calories in it. Or say a naked burrito or burrito bol from Qdoba or Chipotle, with no meat or sour cream in it, well you know how many calories are in one of those puppies...if you get chicken the naked burrito is over 730 calories and even without the chicken and no beans, it is over 530 calories. I was shocked to see that I have been eating way over 2500 calories a day for the past couple of weeks, especially when I thought that I was eating healthy foods. After this realization I now can see why so many Americans are overweight or obess, you are led to believe you are doing something good for yourself, but in reality you aren't and the only truly way to eat yourself thin is to cook for yourself, a fact that I am going to have to quickly implement if I am to stay healthy. So for all you out there who eat out and think you are making healthy choices, think again and watch that nutrional information, you could very well be eating far more calories than you ever imagined!