Monday, June 23, 2008

The Great Sunscreen Debacle

So it is obvious to most that Sunscreen is not to be applied to one's eyes. It is also very clearly marked as such on each package. Today, however, we had our first really big sunscreen in the eye adventure. Typically I will use the tear proof stuff made by Banana Boat. Today, however, I used water babies, one would think that something made for babies would be tear proof, but this turned out not to be the case. As both the girls started rubbing their faces the sunscreen that had just been generously applied to their arms, hand, legs and face made its way directly into their eyes. I thought for sure this wouldn't set them back and out to the pool we went. Maddie played for a little while, but Natalie just sat in my lap and kept her eyes closed. So after about 5 minutes inside we went to the sink. Now let me tell you hold an almost two year old under the sink so you can drench their eyes with water is a task, times that by two and by the time I was done I couldn't here myself think. I thought that the water drenching would do the trick so we sat down for a snack. Of course the water bath didn't do any good so we had to go upstairs to the shower, where the girls could let the water beat down on them and rinse their eyes out throughly. After about twenty minutes in the shower the girls seem to be able to see now. Both their eyes are all red and swollen, but I don't think there will be any permanent damage, but I can assure you I will NEVER use any sunscreen on or near the face that doesn't say "Tear proof."