As a new mother people are always trying to give you advice. Some of it is beneficial some of it is not. I have discovered, however, that there really are 6 things you must do or remember as a mother.
1. Sleep when the baby or babies are sleeping! You hear it over and over again sleep when they are sleeping, and even though it is hard sometimes to make yourself sleep in the middle of the day, it is essential to do so in order to function. At first I was resistant to sleeping when the girls were sleeping, but now I understand how important it is to get as much sleep as possible, even if you only get an extra 20 minutes it will help you survive.
2. Shower as early in the day as possible. It really is amazing how great a shower can make you feel, even if you know that you are going to get spit up on you the minute you walk out of the bathroom, it is nice to be clean even for 5 minutes.
3. If you can't shower early at least wash your face and brush your teeth. Yes, this is a cover up, but in the long run it makes you feel so much better!
4. Always remember that it took 9 months for your body to stretch and for you to put on that extra weight so it isn't going to come off over night. I have lost a lot of my pregnancy weight, but the skin doesn't hang the same and I still need to lose more, but it has been really hard to remember that it has only been 2.5 months and it takes the average woman 8 months to return completely to her pre-pregnancy body...but it would help if I would get on the treadmill too!
5. Remember to eat. I know this seems simple, but sometimes you get so wrapped up in baby you find it is 2:00 pm and you haven't even had breakfast. You have to take care of yourself in order to take care of the little one.
6. Always follow your intuition. If you think something isn't right then do something about it...if your pediatrician tells you something that doesn't seem right for your child get a second opinion, your babies life might hang in the balance if you don't!
I know these seem like common sense, but sometimes you get so wrapped up in the day to day you forget to take care of yourself and to look forward. Just some things I have learned are really true.